By Clemente Angelo Lisi
In A heritage of the realm Cup, Clemente Lisi chronicles the preferred carrying occasion on this planet, supplying vibrant debts of person video games from the tournament’s origins in 1930 to trendy instances.
Read Online or Download A History of the World Cup: 1930-2014 PDF
Similar history books
Within the 1630s, viewers to the wealthy buying and selling towns of the Netherlands couldn't aid yet detect that millions of as a rule sober, hardworking Dutch voters from each stroll of lifestyles have been stuck up in a rare frenzy of shopping for and promoting. the thing of this unparalleled hypothesis used to be the tulip, a fragile and unique jap import that had bewitched horticulturists, noblemen, and tavern vendors alike.
This 10th anniversary revised version of the authoritative textual content on Christianity’s first thousand years of heritage includes a new preface, extra colour photos, and an up-to-date bibliography. the fundamental basic survey of medieval eu Christendom, Brown’s bright prose charts the compelling and tumultuous upward push of an establishment that got here to wield huge, immense spiritual and secular power.
• Clear and shiny background of Christianity’s upward push and its pivotal function within the making of Europe
• Written through the distinguished Princeton student who originated of the sector of analysis often called ‘late antiquity’
• Includes an absolutely up to date bibliography and index
Ruthless Romans finds the awful goings-on of the best empire ever, from the negative twins who based Rome to the evil emperors who made homicide right into a activity. learn on for gory information about the harsh Colosseum and the folk and animals who have been massacred there. .. and learn the way, if you happen to disillusioned them sufficient, the ruthless Romans could CRUCIFY you.
- The Other Hollywood: The Uncensored Oral History of the Porn Film Industry
- A Brief History of the Cold War
- Translating Investments: Metaphor and the Dynamics of Cultural Change in Tudor-Stuart England
- Operation Compass 1940: Wavell's whirlwind offensive1
Additional info for A History of the World Cup: 1930-2014
Inscriptions are still coming to light that recount and date events of which we were previously totally ignorant. 43 After inscriptions, the second most important non-literary source for chronological data are documents written on the crude paper of the period, papyrus, and so referred to as ‘papyri’. Their study is called ‘papyrology’. Papyrus paper was an invention of ancient Egypt, where the heat and dryness of the climate helped conserve the very fragile writing medium that was just one of many items made from the native papyrus reed.
348. 32 Cf. below pp. 000, 000, 000. 1–273; T. P. Wiseman (1991), Death of an Emperor. Exeter; below p. 98–100]. 16, 20; below p. 42–3]. 35 On which see most recently R. Rees (2000), Layers of Loyalty in Latin Panegyric AD 289–307. Oxford: Oxford University Press. 36 Kienast (1996), p. 19. O. Seeck’s (1919), Regesten der Kaiser und Päpste für die Jahre 311 bis 476 n. Chr. Stuttgart, was the ﬁrst comprehensive exploitation of this aspect of the laws. 37 Kienast (1996), p. 2; R. W. Burgess (1993), The Chronicle of Hydatius and the Consularia Constantinopolitana.
AD 347–420) and then by Hydatius (c. AD 400–c. 470) and others. Also important is the world-history, in Greek, of John Malalas (c. 19 Christians also took up and Christianized the traditional Roman calendar with, for example, that of Polemius Silvius (mid-ﬁfth century AD). And Christians of the early Christian Roman Empire wrote valuable church histories. The genre of the Historia Ecclesiastica was invented by Eusebius of Caesarea and continued by Socrates Scholasticus and Sozomen (both ﬂ. mid-ﬁfth century AD), and Theodoret (c.